Monday, August 24, 2009

All Smiles

This weekend was productive and fun. I woke up Saturday and finally after over 6 months of procrastinating got my car washed and visited 2 knitting stores. The second one, close to home, I met and spoke with the young woman working there about knitting, her suggestions, she was ready to sit down and give me a lesson right then and there but the practical side of me thought I should wait until next week after pay day...

I went home and tossed and turned thinking about how much I wanted to learn to knit and use my hands to create something so after 30 minutes of this I said to hell with it, I'm going back so I called and ended up getting a 2 hour lesson. Fun, hard, fun, exciting, fun....

I got home, and pulled out my yarn and needles only to end up frustrated as I'd forgotten how to cast on. I found some you tube videos and learned all over again but man it does not come natural to me. Tonight I got my yarn all tangled up and had to completely pull it all apart as I couldn't get anymore out to knit with. What a joke! I feel like a clutz, my fingers feel like their huge and slippery. I can't seem to grip the yarn. I'm not giving up!

I am happy though and feel like the knitting community is just what I need. I've been wanting a group to sit and talk and drink coffee with. It seems that knitters are quirky and eccentric and enjoy a sense of community which I'm all about. I love the fact that knitting gives me a sense of accomplishment. Or at least it will when I can actually begin :) I can be productive while waiting in lines, sitting in front of the tv, just about anywhere I can sit, I can knit....

The knitting shop in the Highlands was like heaven. MerryBeth kept laughing at my goofy grin and my excitement when I was talking with the owner about knitting. After a cup of coffee, a tour of the top and bottom floors, a good feel of all of the yarns and projects, we were walking out and she said, "I like to see you smile like that" and I said it feels good to smile.

At work, my cafe manager who is a knitter too, made me feel included when I told her I took a lesson by coming back to my office to get me to come out to the cafe and meet a German knitter friend of hers and look at her fingerless gloves, lovely green elbow length chunky things...She introduced me as a new knitter and we all talked for a bit about knitting etc.

I've been craving an activity to keep my hands busy as my mind seems to always be running a race. Its fun learning something completely new and foreign and meeting others that are farther down the path than me. I feel like a kid again in many ways yet this time there seems to be a warm inviting community waiting with open arms to help me succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment